As part of the response to the longer-term impacts of COVID-19, North East Lincolnshire Council is considering hosting a year-long trial of the use of e-scooters on local roads in partnership with the Department for Transport and electric scooter (e-scooter) company, Ginger. We are contacting you today to seek your views regarding this potential trial. It would be greatly appreciated if you could take a few minutes to follow the link https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/YSLQ56W and complete the short survey that will help us develop our response to the Department for Transport.
During the trial, it is proposed that:
- E-scooters will be available for hire (for around £2 for 20 minutes hire) from a network of parking sites across the area to registered users aged over 18 with a valid full or provisional driving license.
- Access to e-scooters will be via the Ginger mobile phone app.
- E-scooters will remain ‘on-hire’ to an individual user until returned to any of the designated parking sites.
- E-scooters will be restricted to a maximum of 11.5 mph.
- E-scooters will be permitted to use roads with speed limits of 30mph or less only, on-road cycle paths and shared cycle/footways but NOT pedestrian only footways.
- The operational area will be limited geographically, so e-scooters will stop working if taken into any defined ‘no-go’ area such as the Victoria Street pedestrianised area in Grimsby town centre.
- The trial only covers hire e-scooters and the use of private e-scooters on public roads will remain illegal.
The trial will remain under regular review and your views may be requested periodically throughout this trial period.
If you have any questions or would like to know more about the potential e-scooter trial, please email me at email@example.com .
Closing date for responses is 12noon on Wednesday 21st October 2020.