Deadline 19th November 2021
The government is launching a consultation on reforms to create an ambitious, pro-growth and innovation-friendly data protection regime that underpins the trustworthy use of data.
This consultation presents proposals that build on the key elements of the current UK General Data Protection Regulation (UK GDPR), such as its data processing principles, its data rights for citizens, and its mechanisms for supervision and enforcement. The proposals aim to deliver an even better data protection regime that will:
- support vibrant competition and innovation to drive economic growth
- maintain high data protection standards without creating unnecessary barriers to responsible data use
- keep pace with the rapid innovation of data-intensive technologies
- help innovative businesses of all sizes to use data responsibly without undue uncertainty or risk, both in the UK and internationally
- ensure the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) is equipped to regulate effectively in an increasingly data-driven world