Duties and Role Description etc. – Treasurer
Role of treasurer
1. Financial qualifications and experience
2. Some experience of charity finance, fundraising and pension schemes
3. The skills to analyse proposals and examine their financial consequences
4. A preparedness to make unpopular recommendations to the Management Committee
5. A willingness to be available to all staff for advice and enquiries on an ad hoc basis
Additional job description duties for our Treasurer
In addition to the general responsibilities for all trustees the treasurer also has some specific responsibilities:
The overall role of our Treasurer is to maintain an overview of F@H affairs, ensuring its financial viability and that proper financial record and procedures are maintained.
1. Overseeing, approving and presenting budgets, accounts and financial statements.
2. Being assured that the financial resources of F@H meet its present and future needs.
3. Ensuring that F@H has an appropriate reserves policy.
4. The preparation and presentation of financial reports to the Management Committee.
5. Ensuring that appropriate accounting procedures and controls are in place.
6. Liaising with staff and volunteers about financial matters.
7. Advising on the financial implications of F@H strategic plans.
8. Ensuring that there is no conflict between any investment held and the aims and objects of F@H.
9. Ensuring F@H compliance with current relevant legislation.
10. Ensuring that equipment and assets are adequately maintained and insured.
11. Ensuring that the accounts are prepared and disclosed in the form required by funders and the relevant statutory bodies, e.g. the Charity Commission.
12. If external scrutiny of accounts is required, ensuring that the accounts are scrutinised in the manner required (independent examination or audit) and any recommendations are implemented.
13. Contributing to the fundraising strategy of F@H.
14. Making a formal presentation of the accounts at the Annual General Meeting (AGM) and drawing attention to important points in a coherent and easily understandable way.
15. Sitting on appraisal, recruitment and disciplinary panels as required.
Person specification – The skills, experience and qualities expected from the treasurer.
All trustees should be able to demonstrate basic qualities of commitment and
integrity; our Treasurer should demonstrate additional skills including experience of
financial management appropriate to the size and complexity of the finances of F@H.
Lyse Stephenson (Operational Manager)
Friendship at Home 01472 602500