We have been asked to share this important communication from North East Lincolnshire Council with all our voluntary and community sector contacts.
Please read the statement below, and if you are able to share the messages with the communities and people you support, please do so.
Statement from Councillor Ron Shepherd, Portfolio Holder for Safer and Stronger Communities
We know that the Covid-19 (coronavirus) pandemic is of deep concern to everyone in North East Lincolnshire. We are working hard with our partners to coordinate the response. We have contingency plans in place to keep essential services running – that means looking after the elderly, the vulnerable, children, as well as delivering our street services such as emptying bins. We are also working closely with central government and the health service to cope with whatever contingency plans are needed. The important thing is that we work together as a community to keep North East Lincolnshire running.
Protecting everyone in North East Lincolnshire is our utmost priority, particularly the most vulnerable. We are all working closely across the public, community and voluntary sectors to offer advice and support and to get help to people who need it. If you are concerned about anyone locally or you need help yourself, please contact
- For medical advice on COVID-19 or if symptoms have worsened visit https://111.nhs.uk/ or call 111
- North East Lincolnshire Single Point of Access – if it is not a 999 emergency but you have medical, health (not COVID-19 related) mental health or social care enquiries or want directing to local support services – 01472 256256.
- North East Lincolnshire Council – for information on changes to council services to https://www.nelincs.gov.uk/covid-19-advice-and-guidance/ . If you aren’t online, call (01472) 313131
- If you are worried that someone is a victim of crime please call Humberside Police on 101, or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
- In any emergency situation please call 999.
We have witnessed an amazing community response to the challenges created by COVID-19 and there are so many local people and groups volunteering to support with the effort locally or asking how they can get involved. We are now working to try and get all of this information in one place so we can best co-ordinate community and voluntary sector activity across North East Lincolnshire. Working together is our best way through the challenges now and ahead.
If you are considering setting up a group of local volunteers to help neighbours please check online to see if any local groups have already been set up, and contact them first. Alternatively, contact your local community centre or charity to see if you can support their work. If you still plan to set something up, and need advice and guidance on issues like safety, volunteering and data protection, you can contact Sector Support North East Lincolnshire. Sector Support are funded by North East Lincolnshire Council and the Clinical Commissioning Group and are helping to co-ordinate community and voluntary sector activity. They can be contacted on 07572 896859 (Amy Hallett) or 07791 040433 (Pippa Robson), or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Their website is https://www.sectorsupportnel.org.uk/
If you are already involved in a community group that is helping to support older, vulnerable or isolated people during the COVID-19 response, please let us know about the support you can offer and the resources you need by completing this survey https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/XPYF7BG Businesses that want to offer their support are also welcome to complete the survey or get in touch with Sector Support.
Individuals who would like to help but do not know of any local groups or activities, can register at www.bluelightsbrigade.co.uk. Blue Lights Brigade are supporting the effort across the borough and will make sure that you are linked in to the local effort and volunteering opportunities and needs near you.
Bringing all of this information together will allow colleagues at Sector Support to collate all of this information, allowing us to organise a better response between us all (public, voluntary and community sectors) and work in a more coordinated way. A leaflet with all of this information will be available very soon.
We are looking to identify a key contact within each ward in North East Lincolnshire who can act as coordinator for information sharing with local volunteers. We have attached a leaflet and postcard to be used within the community. We can offer a quick print facility for groups unable to print locally. Please contact Claire.email@example.com if this is required.
We thank you all for your help at this time.
Further Information for Volunteers
If you are volunteering to help someone, please take the below steps to make sure you do not contribute to the spread of COVID-19. These include: if you feel at all unwell, do not volunteer to help others who are self-isolating
wash your hands regularly with warm water and soap, especially before and after you deliver any items to a person in isolation
if you make a delivery, stay two metres away from the person who is in isolation at all times – place the items outside their door and then step away
be careful about how you share personal information about yourself and other people – avoid sharing your or a vulnerable person’s address and other contact information in public groups or documents
try to support people who live close to you, so you don’t travel larger distances
Further contact information that you may need:
- NHS 111 – 111.nhs.uk or call 111 if you cannot get help online – for health information and advice
- Citizens Advice North East Lincolnshire – firstname.lastname@example.org or 03444 111444
- NHS Every Mind Matters website has some really simple useful tips and advice to support good mental health – www.nhs.uk/oneyou/every-mind-matters
- The latest NHS guidance is available at www.nhs.uk/coronavirus
- For national information and advice about employment, education, travel, public services and the Coronavirus situation in the UK visit https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus
- Coronavirus advice is available (COVID-19) in other languages at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-guidance-on-social-distancing-and-for-vulnerable-people
- North East Lincolnshire Women’s Aid – (01472) 575757